Article 1 The new semester starts in early September or late February at NAU. Newly enrolled international students need to register at the Management Office of International Students (MOIS) on the date stated on the Letter of Admission, and undergo the following enrollment procedures:
1. Fill out Entrance Registration Form for International Students
2. Submit the passport, Letter of Admission, five copies of 2-inch bareheaded color photos, Visa Application Form for Study in China (Form JW201 or JW202) and Physical Examination Record for Foreigners.
3. Pay for the tuition and other fees, and get the Student Identity Card.
Article 2 Upon arrival, international students should go in for physical examination and transact residence permits; students who fail the physical examination will be cancelled of enrollment qualifications.
Article 3 International students who have studied over one semester in NAU need to return to the university in time when the new semester starts, and pay for the tuition and other fees. They should take the Student Identity Card to the MOIS for registration, and it is only valid with a registration stamp on it. International students who delay their registration for more than two weeks (inclusive) will be discontinued schooling automatically.
Article 4 International students who are unable to arrive at the university and register in time need to report to the MOIS in advance, specifying the reasons (sick leave needs a medical certificate) and duration of the leave. They may undergo the due procedures with approval from the MOIS. Those who delay their registration for more than two weeks (inclusive) without asking for a leave or without approval will be regarded as giving up their schooling qualification.
Article 5 The Student Identity Card should be preserved with care, and not be altered or transferred. Students should report to the MOIS in case of loss. Those who are in need of a re-issue of the Student Identity Card are required to file a written application and pay for the cost of labor according to the related regulation.
Article 6 International students who have completed registration can get the teaching materials for the new semester after presenting their registered Student Identity Card.
Article 7 International students are required to purchase a comprehensive insurance for foreign students. Those who fail to purchase insurance shall hold themselves responsible.
Article 8 International students should observe the classroom discipline, and attend classes on time. They should not be late, leave earlier or skip classes.
Article 9 Arbitrary exit or entrance of the classroom during class hours is not allowed. Eating and other behaviors that disrupt the normal order of class are not allowed.
Article 10 Three times of being late or leaving earlier is equivalent to one class hour of absenteeism; being more than 15 minutes late or leaving more than 15 minutes earlier is equivalent to one class hour of absenteeism.
Article 11Teachers of various courses shall keep a record of class attendance.
Article 12 International students who cannot attend class due to sickness or personal affairs shall undergo the following procedures:
1. Those who ask for a sick leave should present the medical record and the sick leave certification of the hospital to gain the permission of the MOIS.
2. Those who ask for a leave of absence due to personal affairs should file a written application to gain the permission of the MOIS.
3. Those who ask for a leave of absence to exit China should file a written application to gain the permission from the MOIS and thereafter go through the relevant procedures.
Article 13 Failing to attend class without asking for a leave or without approval will be regarded as absenteeism.
Article 14 Classes skipped during the leave of absence will not be made up.
Article 15 Those who leave the university without permission or do not attend teaching activities as required will face disciplinary sanctions as follow:
1. Leaving school without permission for more than 1 day but less than 3 days (inclusive) or more than 10 class hours (inclusive) of absenteeism within a single semester will lead to a disciplinary sanction of WARNING;
2. Leaving school without permission for more than 3 days but less than 7 days (inclusive) or more than 20 class hours (inclusive) of absenteeism within a single semester will lead to a disciplinary sanction of SERIOUS WARNING;
3. Leaving school without permission for more than 7 days but less than 11 days (inclusive) or more than 30 class hours (inclusive) of absenteeism within a single semester will lead to a disciplinary sanction of DEMERIT RECORDING;
4. Leaving school without permission for more than 11 days but less than 14 days (inclusive) or more than 40 class hours (inclusive) of absenteeism within a single semester will lead to a disciplinary sanction of DISPLINARY PROBATION;
5. Leaving school without permission for more than 15 days (inclusive) or more than 50 class hours (inclusive) of absenteeism within a single semester will lead to a disciplinary sanction of EXPULSION;
Article 16 International students should take course exams and be assessed in accordance with the curriculum.
Article 17 Course assessment consists of course performance assessment and final examination.
Course performance assessment includes assignments, quizzes, course papers (projects), experiment reports, and case studies etc. Proportion of final course grade between course performance assessment and final examination is normally 3:7 or 4:6. Specific grade composition for the performance assessment of each course will be decided by the academic school or department that offers the course, and announced to the students at the beginning of each course.
Final examination may be conducted in the form of written examination or oral examination depending on specific requirements of each course. Practical teaching parts (including internship, social investigation, graduation thesis etc.) will be assessed at the end of each practice.
Article 18 The final course grade will be presented in forms of centesimal system, five-category system (excellent, good, not bad, fair, bad) and two-category system (pass, fail).
Those whose final course grade is above 60, fair or pass can obtain the course credits.
Article 19 If any of the following situations occurs, the international students involved shall not be allowed to take part in the final examination nor make up for the examination. They have no choice but to take the course again.
1. The class hours of absence (including sick leave, absence for personal affairs and truancy) add up to one third of the total class hours of the course in the semester.
2. The number of undone assignments (including experiment reports) amounts to one third of the required number.
3. Plagiarize others’ assignments and experiment reports, and not rectify their behaviors after education.
Article 20 International students who desert examinations or violate examination rules will be recorded zero in the course grade and are deprived of the right to have a make-up examination.
Article 21 Students who fail a course may take the make-up examination organized by the university at the beginning of the next semester. If they pass the make-up examination, the final course grade will recorded as 60, fair or pass. Otherwise, they have to take the same course again if it is compulsory, and may change to other appropriate courses if it is optional.
Article 22 International students who do not take the examination due to personal affairs are regarded as giving up the examination and the score of the examination will be zero.
Article 23 Students who are 30 minutes late for the examination are not allowed to take the examination and will be regarded as deserting the examination.
Article 24 There is no make-up examination for the final examinattions of the final semester of schooling.
Article 25 Students who cannot take the examination in the designated time due to sickness or other emergencies have to file a written application to the MOIS in advance. Relative certifications are needed. They may take the deferment examination with permission and the grades will be given as usual.
Article 26 Cheaters in the examination will lose the grade as well as the qualification for a make-up examination. The score of the examination will be zero and a disciplinary sanction will be given to them depending on the seriousness of the case.
Article 27 Study Period Extension
1. International students who need to extend the study period should file a written application to the MOIS within the designated time. After gaining the approval of the MOIS, they may proceed with the procedures of study period extension.
2. Those who do not work hard enough, or violate the laws and decrees of China or the rules and regulations of NAU cannot apply for study period extension.
Article 28 Suspension and Resumption of Schooling
1. International students who need to suspend schooling out of health or other reasons should provide the medical certification and relevant certifications, fill out the application form for suspending schooling and submit it to NAU for approval.
2. The suspension period is one academic year on usual (one semester in special circumstances) and two academic years at most.
3. When the suspension period is due, international students should apply to the MOIS for resumption of schooling at least one month in advance and resume schooling after gaining approval.
4. International students who suspend schooling due to sickness should mail the health certificate at least one month in advance to the MOIS, and resume schooling after gaining approval.
5. When the suspension period is due, failing to resume schooling within the designated time will be regarded as discontinuing schooling.
Article 29 Schooling Discontinuation
1. Any of the following situations will lead to schooling discontinuation:
(1) Those who suffer from mental illness, epileptology, lepriasis and other serious diseases clearly listed by Chinese health authorities and those who fail to recover from a severe injury after two years of suspension of schooling.
(2) Those who leave the school for more than two weeks (inclusive) without asking for a leave or applying for suspension of schooling, and those who fail to register within the designated time and with no proper excuse.
(3) Those who fail to resume schooling when the suspension period is due, or fail the qualification check when applying for resumption of schooling when the suspension period is due.
(4) Those who exceed the prescribed time limit of schooling (schooling suspension period included).
(5) Those who are absent for more than 50 class hours (inclusive) in total in one semester.
(6) Those who apply for schooling discontinuation on their own.
2. Those who apply for schooling discontinuation on their own should file a written application to the MOIS in advance and leave school within a week. Tuition fees are not refundable, no score certification or course-completion certificate will be issued. Neither will the university facilitate them in the school-transfer procedures.
Article 30 If any of the following situations occurs, the international students involved will be ordered to discontinue schooling or expulsed.
1. Those who break the laws and decrees of China and commit a crime;
2. Those who organize and cause a disturbance, disrupt the social order and school discipline, endanger social stability, insult and defame others despite repeated education;
3. Those who cause irredeemable losses and harms to public properties, or steal public properties or personal belongings;
4. Those who steal despite repeated education, prostitute themselves and solicit prostitutes, and those who drink excessively, gamble and brawl, causing serious consequences;
5. Those who cohabitate illegally with the opposite sex;
6. Those whose class hours of absenteeism add up to one third (or more) of the total class hours of the whole semester. If they are absent for a whole day, the class hours of absenteeism shall be calculated according to the actual class hours of that day;
7. Those who refuse to pay for tuition or accommodation fees after several overdue notices;
8. Those who seriously violate relevant rules and regulations of NAU, causing serious consequences.
Chapter Four Course Completion and Graduation
Article 31 At the end of schooling, international students who pass all the required courses, obtain the HSK Certificate of required levels (HSK Level 5 Certificate for students on bachelor program and HSK Level 6 Certificate for students on master program) and pass the graduation thesis can get the Certificate of Graduation and the diploma.
Article 32 At the end of schooling, international students who pass all the required courses, but fit into one of the following situations can only get the Certificate of Graduation but not the diploma:
1. Those who pass the graduation thesis but fail to obtain the HSK Certificate of required levels.
2. Those who obtain the HSK Certificate of required levels but fail to pass the graduation thesis.
Article 33 At the end of schooling, international students who fit into one of the following situations can only get the Certificate of Course Completion but not the Certificate of Graduation:
1. Those who fail to complete all courses in the curriculum.
2. Those who fail to meet the requirements of graduation and will not apply for study period extension.
Article 34 International students who want to finish the schooling ahead of schedule due to personal reasons may get the Studying Certificate and transcript of academic records but not the Certificate of Course Completion of the semester.
Chapter Five Leaving School
Article 35 International students who have completed the courses, graduated or discontinued schooling should go through the school-leaving procedures at the MOIS within 10 days and leave in time; students that are ordered to discontinue schooling or expulsed should leave the school in 5 days.
Article 36 Unsettled issues in this regulation shall be handled in the light of relevant provisions in Nanjing Audit University Regulations of Administration on Undergraduate Students and Nanjing Audit University Regulations of Administration on Postgraduate Students.